Rates Relief Support – Leeds City Council
LCC have recently launched the Discretionary Business Rates Relief Scheme. The scheme is designed to provide extra financial support to businesses “making a positive contribution to inclusive growth.”
It’s worthwhile checking if your business qualifies for this extra relief as the savings are considerable.
Who is eligible?
To apply, your business must have a rateable value between £15,000 to £51,000. Your business should be either:
- a social enterprise
- a young business of up to 3 years
- or any small or medium sized business focused on a social or civic purpose
- Examples of social or civic purposes include:
- inspiring the next generation by working with schools or colleges
- taking on apprentices
- offering training to low paid staff to help them progress
- offering work opportunities to local people with disabilities or health issues and/or those furthest away from the labour market
- paying your staff the living wage
- helping our local area to reduce its impact on the environment
- You can still apply if you can show your business provides a benefit to the local community
Who cannot apply?
You cannot apply if your business is a multi-national company or if you have had other discounts on your 2022/23 business rates bill. This includes:
- small business rate relief
- rural rate relief
- charitable rate relief
- enterprise zone relief
- hardship relief
- retail discount
- local newspaper relief
- exempted buildings and empty buildings relief
- transitional relief if your rates change by more than a certain amount at re-evaluation
How much will I receive?
50% off your 2022/23 business rates bill, up to £15,000 per annum, per business.
How to apply?
To check whether you are eligible and/or to apply visit: https://www.leeds.gov.uk/business-rates/relief-from-business-rates
If you need some help understanding if you qualify or completing the application process, get in touch.