New National Minimum Wage Rates – April 2021
In this article we cover the new National Minimum Wage rates that apply from 1 April 2021.
In full, the increases from April 1, 2021 are:
- NLW (23+) has increased 2.2%, from £8.72 to £8.91.
- NMW (21-22) has increased 2%, from £8.20 to £8.36.
- NMW (18-20) has increased 1.7% from £6.45 to £6.56.
- NMW (under 18) has increased 1.5% from £4.55 to £4.62.
- Apprentice Rate has increased 3.6% from £4.15 to £4.30.
Employers should be aware that there are severe penalties if you fail to pay these NLW and NMW rates.
Currently penalties are:
- Any arrears of pay need to be repaid to employees.
- Penalties of up to 200% of arrears owed to employees may be charged.
- Maximum fines are presently set at £20,000 for each affected worker.
Any questions please don’t hesitate to contact us.